Cathedral of Saint Martin in Spišská kapitula
Spišská Kapitula is a Historical Town Landmark reservation. The former separate village is an integral part of the Town of Spišské Podhradie since 1948 as well as being incorporated into the UNESCO World Heritage. The dominant building is the Late Roman Cathedral of Saint Martin dated 1245-1273 with twin spires. The sanctuary and nave were later enlarged by additional gothic extensions. The cathedral has a particlarly valuable interior, mostly gothic altars, scupltures, tombs, bells and calyxes. The valuable fresco painting that was painted upon instruction of the Spiš provost in 1317, visualizes the coronation of the Hungarian King Karol Róbert. At the same time the oldest Roman sculpture known as Leo albus or White Lion. Part of the richly decorated cathedral baroque interiors is the remarkable Altar of Saint Cross. Even to this day, Spišská Kapitula is the centre of Roman Catholic Church administration in Spiš region.